Posted: 31 Oct '18
What Filter Options Are Available for Your Furnace?
Furnace filters are used to remove particles from the air that are brought in through the return ducts. They help to improve the quality of your air by decreasing the amount of dust, pet dander, and pollen you breathe in. They also protect the blower fan and help to keep it from working too hard and stressing the system.
Furnace Filter Options
There are several different types of filters that will help your furnace perform better. Filters can also be disposable or washable, it all depends on the kind of system you have.
Here are just a few of the many options that are available for your heating system:
- Fibreglass or synthetic filters: These are affordable and disposable filters. Although they help with maximum airflow and help trap some larger particles, they don’t catch as many particles as other filters.
- Polyester filters: These are made from a high-quality material and can catch most particles that are 5 microns or larger. While they do cost more than fibreglass filters, you also get better protection.
- Electrostatic filters: These use self-charging fibres to attract particles and remove them from the air. They come in both washable and disposable options. If you get the washable option, make sure the filter is completely dry before installing to avoid the chance of mold.
- Pleated filters: Pleated filters are highly efficient filters that trap very small particles, including some viruses and bacteria, with minimal effect on airflow. They also tend to last longer than fibreglass filters.
- HEPA filters: High Efficiency Particulate Air filters, also known as HEPA, can trap up to 99% of very tiny particles. While they do a tremendous job of removing particles, they do decrease the airflow in your home.
Which Furnace Filter is Right for Your Home?
If you have questions about furnace filters, let us assist you. Our experienced technicians can help you choose the right filter for your home heating system and will help create the correct replacement schedule. Call A-1 Heating, today and enjoy clean air with a new furnace filter, all winter long.